HONTIVEROS: NO ARRESTS INSIDE SENATE WHILE IN SESSION

Senate Deputy Majority Leader Risa Hontiveros on Monday reiterated that no arrest can be made inside the Senate while it is in session, citing tradition and the earlier stance of Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto III.

“I think that particular issue ni-raise na dati in relation sa isa sa kanila and I would stand by what sinabi ni Senate President Tito Sotto noon na by tradition, while the Senate is in session, walang miyembro ang inaaresto sa loob,” Hontiveros said.

Her remarks followed the International Criminal Court’s (ICC) identification of Senators Bong Go and Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa as co-perpetrators in its case against former President Rodrigo Duterte.

Hontiveros described the development as a “painful” process for the Senate, noting that the matter will be discussed by the chamber’s leadership.

“I believe indictment pa lang yan, wala pa namang inilalabas na mga dokumento that would set certain processes in motion… ito na may international scope ay siyempre mahirap, even masakit na proseso para sa Senate pero kailangan namin harapin as an institution, at the proper time,” she said.

She clarified that Philippine courts and ICC proceedings are separate processes.

“I think hiwalay ‘yung proseso ng ating mga korte, siyempre doon tayo unang dumudulog at yung sa ICC,” Hontiveros explained.

Senator Bong Go has denied involvement in Duterte’s war on drugs, calling the allegations “entirely unfounded, one-sided and unfair.” Senator Dela Rosa has yet to issue a detailed response.

Meanwhile, Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo “Ping” Lacson stressed that any ICC arrest warrant should go through Philippine courts, adding that both senators can avail of legal remedies.

“On the part of the senators, we’ll discuss the matter, if the senators decide to extend help. We’ll cross the bridge when we get there,” Lacson said.

The ICC last week released a document naming several high-ranking officials, including Go and Dela Rosa, as “co-perpetrators” in crimes against humanity charges against Duterte.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *