Former Public Works Secretary Manuel Bonoan on Monday filed his counter-affidavit before the Department of Justice (DOJ) panel of prosecutors in connection with a plunder complaint over alleged anomalies in flood control projects, where he is charged alongside Senator Jinggoy Estrada.
“I submitted my counter-affidavit,” Bonoan told reporters after leaving the DOJ.
Asked about his plans to travel to the United States for his wife’s medical operation, Bonoan confirmed he had informed the DOJ panel.
“Yeah, nakapagpaalam kami,” he said, noting that the panel allowed him to leave but declined to provide further details.
DOJ spokesperson Atty. Polo Martinez clarified that the department does not have the authority to grant travel permission to respondents.
“Travel by respondents can only be restricted by the courts,” Martinez explained.
Bonoan previously left for the US last year for his wife’s corneal transplant and returned to the Philippines in January.
He assured the DOJ that despite his wife’s medical needs, he will continue to cooperate with the ongoing investigation.
