President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has directed newly appointed National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Director Melvin Matibag to reinforce the agency’s role in combating crime and safeguarding national interests, Malacañang announced Saturday.
Executive Secretary Ralph Recto said he relayed the President’s instructions during Matibag’s oath-taking on Friday.
“Marcos ordered Matibag to make NBI a stronger instrument of stopping crime, attaining justice, securing peace and guarding the national interest,” Recto stated.
Recto expressed confidence in Matibag’s leadership, citing his prior government experience and respect for the rule of law.
“He brings with him experience in equally challenging government jobs he performed in the past, with distinction and dedication,” Recto said, adding that Matibag’s “deep respect for and knowledge of the law” aligns with the NBI’s tradition as an effective crimefighting unit.
Matibag, now holding the rank of Director VI, succeeded Angelito Magno, who was promoted to Director IV after serving as officer-in-charge.
A known ally of former President Rodrigo Duterte, Matibag previously served as secretary general of a PDP-Laban faction before stepping down in 2023.
Recto also thanked Magno for his integrity in leading the bureau and expressed hope that he would continue to uphold the NBI’s longstanding tradition of service.
