Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo Lacson on Saturday said the chamber may need to revisit its rules following Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa’s extended absence from plenary sessions.
Lacson explained that while existing regulations cover continuous absences in committee hearings, no similar rule applies to plenary attendance.
“(May rules) kami pag continuous absence sa committee, nawawala ang membership sa committee. As far as plenary, wala kaming rules,” he said during the Philippine Military Academy alumni homecoming in Baguio City.
The senator added that dela Rosa’s situation could prompt a review.
“I think we should revisit the rules of the Senate para ma-incorporate ang situation like that of Sen. Bato,” Lacson said.
Dela Rosa has not attended sessions since November 2025, after Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla claimed the International Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant against him over former President Rodrigo Duterte’s anti-drug campaign.
Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla later clarified that no warrant or Interpol red notice had been received.
Although no arrest warrant exists, a February 13 ICC document named dela Rosa among “co-perpetrators” in the crimes against humanity case linked to Duterte’s drug war.
Lacson noted that the issue could be raised during Monday’s all-senators’ caucus.
“I think we should take it seriously. On Monday, pag may all-senators’ caucus, it could come up and we could have a consensus,” he said.
Earlier, Senate President Vicente Sotto III urged dela Rosa to voluntarily forgo his salary, following public pressure and a proposal by Ilocos Norte 1st District Representative Sandro Marcos for a “no work, no pay” policy for lawmakers.
