Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo Lacson on Thursday expressed support for the Kalayaan municipal council’s petition to expunge Senate Deputy Minority Leader Rodante Marcoleta’s remark suggesting that the Philippines should “give up” the Kalayaan Island Group (KIG).
In a resolution adopted on February 10, the council of the Municipality of Kalayaan, Palawan, urged the Office of the Senate President to remove the controversial statement from the records of the Commission on Appointments (CA), citing the need to “preserve the dignity and integrity of our municipality.”
The council said Marcoleta’s remark amounted to a betrayal of residents and a dismissal of their rights.
“The statement made by a public official (Sen. Marcoleta) to ‘give up’ (i-give up na lang) the Kalayaan Island Group (KIG) is felt by our constituents as a betrayal of their sacrifices and a dismissal of their right to live securely within their own territory,” the resolution read, adding that it also “mocks” state forces stationed in Pag-asa Island.
“The Sangguniang Bayan stand firm that not one inch of our municipality is negotiable, and that any record suggesting otherwise is a historical error that must be corrected,” it added.
Lacson said a formal motion must first be filed with Senate President Vicente Sotto III, who chairs the CA.
“A motion to strike off the records of the CA is needed. A letter addressed to CA Chairman Senate President Vicente Sotto III through the CA Defense Committee Chairman will serve as a strong basis for such a motion,” Lacson said in a statement.
He also warned that leaving Marcoleta’s suggestion on record could weaken the country’s territorial claim.
“Kasi nanggaling sa isang senador mismo at nandoon sa record, mawe-weaken ang position natin maski papano, di ba? Kasi nasa record. Mas maganda matanggal yan sa record ng CA,” he said in a radio interview.
During a February 4 CA confirmation hearing for military officials, Marcoleta proposed “giving up” the KIG, arguing that the islands lie beyond the Philippines’ 370-kilometer exclusive economic zone.
“Ang gawin natin po para madali, i-give up natin ang KIG. Then mako-coordinate na natin ang lahat,” Marcoleta said.
Since then, Marcoleta has faced backlash from netizens and some lawmakers. He later clarified that his statement was taken out of context, saying he was referring to the possible listing of the West Philippine Sea with the International Hydrographic Organization.
