President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has designated lawyer Melvin Matibag as the new director of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Malacañang confirmed on Thursday.
Communications Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment during a briefing but did not elaborate on when Matibag would officially assume office, whether he has already taken his oath, or the specific circumstances that led to his selection.
Addressing questions about Matibag’s previous association with former President Rodrigo Duterte and the political party PDP–Laban, Castro emphasized that the choice falls squarely within the President’s prerogative.
She said the appointment was based on the Chief Executive’s confidence in Matibag’s capabilities.
“Nakitaan po niya si Atty. Melvin Matibag na maaaring pagtiwalaan, maaaring magtrabaho para sa gobyerno,” Castro said.
The Palace refrained from commenting on any political significance surrounding the move, even as the appointment places a figure known to be aligned with Duterte at the helm of one of the government’s principal investigative agencies.
Matibag will take over from Lito Magno, who had been serving as acting NBI director since late 2025 following the resignation of former director Jaime Santiago.
