Malacañang on Friday dismissed former President Rodrigo Duterte’s assertion that he was “kidnapped” when brought before the International Criminal Court (ICC).
In a letter waiving his right to attend next week’s hearing, Duterte refused to recognize the Hague-based tribunal’s jurisdiction and claimed his “kidnapping” was “facilitated by the Office of the incumbent President of the Philippines.”
Communications Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro countered that Duterte had long been aware of a possible ICC arrest warrant since March 2025 and had even told supporters in Hong Kong:
“If it is truly my fate in life, it’s okay, I will accept it. They can arrest me, imprison me.”
Castro added:
“He was not scared of the ICC and told it to ‘hurry up’ on its investigation. So papaano nila masasabing may kidnapping kung mismong ang dating Pangulong Duterte ay handang magpaaresto kapag ang warrant of arrest ay and ’yan na.”
Duterte faces a four-day confirmation of charges hearing starting Monday, February 23, which will determine whether sufficient evidence exists for a trial.
Prosecutors have charged him with three counts of crimes against humanity, alleging his involvement in at least 76 murders between 2013 and 2018. Victim lawyers argue the actual number of killings could be in the thousands and that a trial may encourage more families to come forward.
After returning to Manila from Hong Kong last year, Duterte was arrested, flown directly to the Netherlands, and is currently detained at the ICC’s Scheveningen Prison.
