TRILLION PESO MARCH TO SPOTLIGHT CORRUPTION, EDSA LEGACY

Organizers of the third installment of the Trillion Peso March on February 25 clarified that while participants may call for the impeachment of top leaders, such demands are not the central focus of the gathering.

Kiko Aquino Dee, co-convenor of Tindig Pilipinas and nephew of former President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III, emphasized that freedom of speech will be respected, but unconstitutional calls will not be allowed.

“‘Yung mga panawagan na pasok sa Constitution, katulad ng impeachment kay President [Ferdinand] Marcos man ‘yan o VP Sara [Duterte]… karapatan naman natin ‘yan na magkaroon ng gano’ng panawagan [but] that’s not the main call of the program, pero if you want to express that, you are welcome to come,” Dee said.

“Ang bawal lang po talaga ay ‘yung mga labag sa Constitution tulad ng mga calls for violence, calls na naka-address sa ating Armed Forces at calls for an elective body to take office kagaya ng revolutionary government pati na rin ‘yung transition council.”

The rally, rooted in the flood control corruption scandal revealed last year, will take place at the People Power Monument and along White Plains Avenue in Quezon City.

It coincides with the 40th anniversary of the 1986 EDSA People Power Revolution, which restored democracy after the fall of former President Ferdinand Marcos Sr.’s dictatorship.

Organizers expect around 30,000 participants. Dee said the march will focus on celebrating the achievements of the EDSA uprising, highlighting the country’s corruption crisis, and addressing entrenched political dynasties. Comparisons between past military rule and current governance will also be discussed.

Politicians, however, will not be permitted to speak on stage during the event.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *