The Senate Impeachment Court is prohibited from transitioning to online hearings despite severe weather disruptions because its established framework lacks provisions for virtual proceedings, the body’s spokesperson stated on Monday, August 17.
Attorney Regie Tongol clarified that online trial sessions are not authorized under existing impeachment rules, pointing out that even standard judiciary proceedings permit remote appearances solely as an exception.
“Virtual court hearings are not included in the impeachment rules; even in ordinary courts, this is only an exception,” Tongol told reporters in a press briefing after the 16th day of the impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte.
The clarification came after Monday’s session was forced to wrap up early following a government work suspension across Metro Manila and neighboring areas, caused by heavy flooding brought by the southwest monsoon or habagat.
Tongol noted that to consider shifting to an online format, either the defense or prosecution team would need to submit a formal motion backed by valid, compelling reasons.
Furthermore, he outlined the significant logistical hurdles of convening the trial virtually, given the massive roster of participants involved—which includes 24 senator-judges, the House prosecution panel, a sizeable defense counsel team, Senate staff, and the Office of the Clerk of Court.
”In an ordinary court, there is only one judge present, along with the court staff. But here, 24 senator-judges would also need to be online,” he explained.
”To constitute a quorum, at least 13 must be online. So, that is quite a complex undertaking; plus, there is the House Prosecution Panel—which involves a large number of people—as well as the Respondents’ Counsel, the staff of our Senator-Judges, and the Clerk of Court for the Impeachment Court,” he further said.
”It would essentially be a logistical nightmare to hold a virtual hearing for the Impeachment Court for the time being, at least until we find a better solution or a better legal basis for it,” Tongol said.
This marks the second weather-related disruption for the tribunal, which previously called off its August 10 proceedings due to the combined impact of a tropical cyclone and the southwest monsoon.
