Communications Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro has accused Senator Pia Cayetano of “gaslighting” her minority colleagues during a highly emotional plenary manifestation earlier this week regarding the recent Senate shooting incident.
In a personal vlog aired Wednesday, Castro criticized the lawmaker for weeping over an alleged lack of concern from colleagues, framing the emotional display as an attempt to shift blame toward the new Senate minority bloc, particularly Senator Risa Hontiveros.
Castro’s commentary followed a privilege speech by Hontiveros that questioned the swift return to normalcy at the Senate after the May 13 shooting. In response to Hontiveros, Pia Cayetano delivered an emotional manifestation, lamenting that no one from the former majority inquired about the safety of the senators left inside the premises during the incident.
“Nakita natin kung paano na-gaslight with the crying scene, the other members of the minority, especially Senator Risa Hontiveros, in this case, in this scenario, and in this particular speech in which Senator Pia made her comment or response,” Castro said in her vlog.
“We saw how the crying scene was used to gaslight the other members of the minority, especially Senator Risa Hontiveros, in this case, in this scenario, and in this particular speech in which Senator Pia made her comment or response,” Castro said in her vlog.
The Palace press officer—who clarified that the views expressed were her own and not in her capacity as a Malacañang official—argued that the Cayetano siblings hold responsibility for the security operation that led to the chaos.
Castro pointed out that Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Mao Aplasca led the operation, which included locking and loading a weapon in front of the media and firing multiple rounds inside the building while senators, staff, and reporters were trapped inside.
Castro asserted that Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano, the lawmaker’s brother, authorized Aplasca’s actions.
“Ang lumalabas dito sa paghagulgol nitong si Senator Pia Cayetano eh parang ang may kasalanan hindi si Aplasca. Takot na takot siya—eh sana hindi ‘yan pinayagan ng kapatid mo, ‘yung operasyon na ‘lock and load’ at may aarestuhin. Alam ‘yan lahat ng kapatid mo eh,” Castro said.
What appears here in the weeping of Senator Pia Cayetano is as if Aplasca is not the one at fault. She was so terrified—well, your brother shouldn’t have allowed that ‘lock and load’ operation and the plan to arrest someone. Your brother knew all about that.
Castro further criticized the lady senator for projecting blame onto the current minority members for failing to check on their colleagues via their group chat.
“Tapos ngayon, ‘yung mga dating miyembro ng majority—definitely referring to the minority— hinahanapan niya pa ng, ‘Kumusta kayo diyan?’” Castro said. “Ang basa ko, pahid na naman sa iba ang kasalanan. So, kapag nadinig ito ng mga tao na hindi alam…kung ano ang ebidensya, ano ang video, paano nag-start, maaawa sa kanya. At ang sisisihin na naman ang minority.”
And now, the former members of the majority—definitely referring to the minority—she is looking for a, “How are you guys there?” My reading of this is that the blame is being wiped onto others again. So, when people hear this who don’t know… what the evidence is, what the video is, how it started, they will feel sorry for her. And the minority will be blamed again.
Narratives surrounding the May 13 incident remain deeply fractured. While Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano maintained that the legislative chamber was “under attack,” Malacañang and security officials have offered a different assessment.
Malacañang previously stated that Aplasca fired a “warning shot” and clarified that National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) agents did not assault anyone. Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla also countered the Senate President’s narrative, stating the Senate was not under attack and noting that Aplasca gave his “lock and load” order directly in front of the press.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) has already recommended filing charges against Aplasca and two other Senate security personnel for violating the Private Security Services Industry Act.
The camp of Senator Pia Cayetano has yet to issue a statement responding to Castro’s remarks.
