Senator Jinggoy Estrada on Tuesday fiercely disputed the Department of Justice’s (DOJ) recommendation to file plunder and graft charges against him over an alleged budget-rigging scheme tied to a flood control scandal, maintaining that official chamber records completely clear his name.
The DOJ recently recommended filing criminal charges against Estrada and several former officials of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) for alleged irregularities in infrastructure allocations. The legal development threatens the senator with a potential return to prison if the case advances to court.
Estrada described the DOJ’s move as “an unfortunate development,” countering that the executive department’s findings directly contradict the official assessments made by the Senate’s own technical experts.
“I find this baffling and unjust, considering that the Senate Legislative Budget Research and Monitoring Office categorically stated that there is no record showing that I introduced any insertions into the 2025 national budget,” Estrada said in a statement.
The veteran lawmaker also highlighted that his colleagues in the upper chamber had acknowledged these official findings during prior legislative inquiries.
“Even Blue Ribbon Committee Chairperson Sen. Panfilo Lacson took cognizance of this development as a vital piece of information regarding the issues being raised against me,” Estrada said.
In a bid to fight the allegations before they reach the court, Estrada disclosed that he has formally requested the DOJ to reopen the preliminary investigation previously handled by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), asserting that crucial defense evidence was overlooked.
“Due process and fairness demand that all relevant evidence and official findings be fully considered before conclusions are drawn,” Estrada argued.
Despite the looming legal battle, the senator expressed confidence that the documentation from the Senate would vindicate him.
“Nonetheless, I remain committed to addressing these allegations through the proper legal processes, and I am confident that the truth, supported by facts and official records, will ultimately prevail,” he added.
