National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Director Melvin Matibag on Monday shot down allegations made by Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano that the bureau attempted to “undermine” the upper chamber following a recent security breach inside the compound.
The word war erupted during a Senate press briefing held amid rumors of an impending leadership shake-up, where Cayetano claimed that the NBI had failed in its supposed mission to weaken the legislative body.
“Ang message ko sa NBI, hindi niyo natibag ang Senado. Under Alan Cayetano, hindi niyo natibag ang Senado,” Cayetano said.
(“My message to the NBI is, you did not break the Senate. Under Alan Cayetano, you did not break the Senate.”)
Matibag immediately disputed the Senate chief’s accusations, firing back that the agency’s operations are grounded strictly in law enforcement and are completely free of any political agenda.
“Bakit? Gusto ba namin tibagin ‘yung Senado? Gusto lang namin ipatupad ‘yung batas. Saka, it’s not about Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, it’s about the Senate and the judicial system,” Matibag said.
(“Why? Do we want to break the Senate? We just want to enforce the law. Besides, it’s not about Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, it’s about the Senate and the judicial system.”)
“That’s an institution enshrined in the Constitution. We respect it,” he added.
The tension between the two heads stems from a high-profile May 13 gunfire incident inside the Senate premises, which has placed a spotlight on the jurisdiction and actions of law enforcement agencies within legislative grounds. Matibag maintained that the NBI fully recognizes and honors the Senate’s independence as a co-equal branch of government.
Meanwhile, new developments in the shooting probe emerged as the NBI released body camera footage showing that the arrested driver was completely unarmed and was positioned in a different location when the shots were fired.
While investigators previously confirmed that no firearm was found in the driver’s possession, authorities noted that ammunition was allegedly discovered inside his sling bag. A subsequent gunpowder nitrate test also yielded positive results, though officials clarified that this does not automatically prove the suspect fired a gun.
The driver was temporarily released on Monday after posting bail, but remains under active investigation by the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG).
