Senator Robin Padilla on Wednesday confirmed the authenticity of CCTV footage showing him assisting Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa in leaving the Senate premises inside a white SUV, following last week’s chaotic shooting incident inside the legislative complex.
When questioned by reporters during an ambush interview regarding the video clips released by the Philippine National Police (PNP), Padilla did not deny his involvement.
“Ano pang kailangan sabihin ko dun eh nakita niyo na. Hindi naman AI yun diba?” Padilla said.
What else do I need to say there when you have already seen it? That is not AI, right?
The PNP recently made public the surveillance footage captured hours after gunfire erupted inside the Senate chamber on May 13. The clips showed dela Rosa, disguised in a jacket and a cap, exiting the building alongside Padilla. Separate footage also caught a white Toyota Fortuner, registered under Padilla’s name, leaving the compound.
Padilla defended his actions, questioning the illegality of aiding his colleague. He emphasized that the Senate leadership had previously declared it would only honor arrest warrants issued by local courts, not those from the International Criminal Court (ICC).
“Tanong natin sa kanila. Kung may ilegal. Kasi sa amin, tandaan ninyo, ang Senate, ang sabi ng aming (Senate president), hihintayin namin ang warrant ng local court,” he argued.
Let us ask them if there is anything illegal. Because for us, remember, the Senate, as our Senate president said, we will wait for the warrant from a local court.
Dela Rosa had reportedly taken refuge inside the Senate complex following rumors that authorities were executing an ICC-backed warrant of arrest against him for alleged crimes against humanity connected to the Duterte administration’s anti-drug campaign. The situation escalated into a violent confrontation and an exchange of gunfire inside the compound between Senate security forces and individuals allegedly associated with the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).
According to Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla, the PNP has already turned over the CCTV clips to the Department of Justice (DOJ) to form part of an ongoing investigation.
When pressed on whether he is ready to face potential legal repercussions for his actions, Padilla expressed resignation.
“Wala po tayong magagawa,” Padilla replied.
We cannot do anything about it.
The actor-turned-politician declined to reveal dela Rosa’s current whereabouts or where they headed after escaping the Senate grounds, maintaining that the public and investigators already have enough data.
“Maraming salamat sa inyo. Nakuha nyo na yung gusto ninyo. Napanood niyo na. Palagay ko naman siguro matatahimik na kayo… Naganap na yung imbestigasyon. So wala na tayo siguro dapat pag-usapan pa,” Padilla concluded.
Thank you very much. You already got what you wanted. You have watched it. I guess you can rest easy now… The investigation has already taken place. So I guess we have nothing more to talk about.
