PALACE: PBBM MAINTAINS TRUST IN REMULLA AMID BATO, CO CONTROVERSIES

​Malacañang on Monday bucked rumors that President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has lost trust in Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla, despite intense scrutiny over high-profile law enforcement lapses.

​Communications Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro dismissed speculations about an impending Cabinet shakeup, affirming that the DILG chief still enjoys the President’s full confidence.

The Palace statement comes on the heels of mounting public criticism over the failed arrest and subsequent escape of Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa during a chaotic shootout at the Senate premises, as well as the agency’s flip-flopping statements regarding flood control scandal suspect Zaldy Co.

​“Wala naman po akong nakitaan na natanggal ang tiwala ng Pangulo kay Secretary Jonvic Remulla sa ngayon,” Castro said during a Palace press briefing.

(“I have not seen anything that indicates the President has lost trust in Secretary Jonvic Remulla as of now.”)

​Castro also firmly denied viral online rumors that former Interior Secretary Benhur Abalos or former Senator Antonio Trillanes IV are being lined up to take over Remulla’s post.

​“Wala pa pong ganoong ibinibigay sa ating mga impormasyon,” Castro said.

(“No such information has been given to us yet.”)

​DILG Cites Legal Boundings for Dela Rosa Stance

​Defending its controversial handling of Senator Dela Rosa—who faces an outstanding arrest warrant from the International Criminal Court (ICC) for alleged crimes against humanity—the DILG clarified that its actions were bound by existing legal framework rather than political avoidance.

​The department invoked Section 17 of Republic Act 9851 (Philippine Act on Crimes Against International Humanitarian Law, Genocide, and Other Crimes Against Humanity), which allows the Philippine government the jurisdiction to either surrender the accused to the ICC or handle the prosecution through domestic courts.

​According to the DILG, President Marcos Jr. had specifically instructed the police and interior departments to hold off on enforcing the international warrant until the Supreme Court rules on its enforceability, given the absence of an explicit domestic court order.

​Furthermore, the agency noted that Acting Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida had previously clarified that “no order for manhunt” was ever issued. The DILG maintained that any enforcement action remained conditional due to the high court’s pending proceedings and the Senate’s independent move to place Dela Rosa under its protective custody.

​”These are not acts of inaction, but adherence to constitutional order, due process, and the rule of law,” the DILG asserted.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *