PNP CHIEF ORDERS PROBE INTO ALLEGED POLICE ESCORT FFOR DELA ROSA

Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. ordered an internal investigation on Sunday, May 17, into allegations that local police officers escorted Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa out of the Senate compound earlier that week.

​The investigation will include an independent review of records and surveillance footage from the morning of May 14, following a controversial video showing a white police vehicle leaving the Senate premises alongside a black van believed to be carrying the senator.

​Pasay City Police Chief Col. Joselito de Sesto admitted to being inside the police vehicle at around 3:00 a.m. that morning, but firmly denied that his team provided an escort for Dela Rosa. Despite the denial, Nartatez emphasized that the national leadership will verify the facts to protect the organization’s reputation.

​“Let me be absolutely clear: the Philippine National Police does not operate on blind because the integrity of our institution is at stake. While we have received the initial clarification from the Pasay City Police Chief, I have already directed concerned investigative units to conduct an independent review of the logbooks, CCTV (closed-circuit television) feeds, and radio dispatches from that morning,” Nartatez said.

​The PNP chief issued a stern warning against any personnel found to have assisted the senator in evading legal accountability.

​“If the investigation reveals that there was any unauthorized coordination, false reporting, or logistical support given to evade legal processes, those involved will face the full brunt of administrative and criminal sanctions,” he added.

​Dela Rosa had only recently resurfaced at the Senate on May 11 after being out of the public eye for nearly six months amid rumors of an impending arrest warrant from the International Criminal Court (ICC). Though placed under Senate custody, he reportedly fled the complex just hours after a highly volatile shooting incident occurred inside the compound on the night of May 13.

​Nartatez clarified that the heavy police presence at the time was purely for security management, categorically denying that the PNP high command sanctioned any covert operation for the senator.

​“As the Chief of the PNP, I categorically state that the national leadership had no prior knowledge of, nor did it authorize any logistical assistance for, the departure of Senator Dela Rosa from the Senate premises. Our deployment in the area was strictly confined to public safety, crowd control, and managing the perimeter following the highly volatile shooting incident that occurred hours prior,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *