TWO DEAD AS STUDENT OPENS FIRE INSIDE ATENEO DE ZAMBOANGA CAMPUS

A tragic shooting carried out by a junior high school learner at the Ateneo de Zamboanga campus on Tuesday morning, August 18, resulted in two student fatalities, occurring nearly two months after a separate mass shooting incident at a Tacloban City academic facility.

​Zamboanga City Mayor Khymer Adan Olaso verified that the dead comprised a student victim and the teenage perpetrator, who ended his own life following the assault.

​Law enforcement authorities indicated that the perpetrator was a Grade 9 pupil, while the deceased victim was enrolled in Grade 10.

​Mayor Olaso further stated that two additional learners suffered injuries during the violence.

​“The student was armed with a high-powered firearm and a .45 caliber pistol. The shooter first targeted a teacher sitting on the table. After failing to hit the teacher, the shooter went to another room,” said Olaso in an radio interview.

​Olaso indicated that the student was shot with a .45 caliber handgun inside the second classroom.

​The mayor detailed that two other pupils were wounded before the perpetrator reportedly took his own life.

​Local leadership revealed that the entire assault was captured on a body-worn camera worn by the shooter, which was streaming live online during the attack.

​As the broadcast footage spread across digital platforms, the Department of Education (DepEd) issued a public request urging people to refrain from circulating unverified details or graphic footage, stressing the involvement of minors.

​“The Department of Education (DepEd) is gravely concerned over the reported shooting incident at the Ateneo de Zamboanga Grade School, a private school, in Zamboanga City this morning, August 18,” the DepEd statement read.

​“DepEd stands with the Ateneo de Zamboanga community during this difficult time and is ready to extend whatever support and assistance we can to the affected learners, families, school personnel, and concerned authorities,” it added.

Security Restored on Campus

In an online bulletin, the administration of Ateneo de Zamboanga confirmed that the threat had been neutralized and parents were cleared to collect their children once security forces rendered the environment safe.

​DepEd noted it is actively coordinating with psychological support networks to provide Psychological First Aid and trauma care to impacted students, families, and staff members.

Investigation Ongoing

​The Philippine National Police (PNP) reported that it is working alongside school administration to clarify the circumstances surrounding the violence.

​“The PNP assures the public that the safety and well-being of the school community remain a priority. We urge everyone to remain calm and rely on official advisories for accurate and timely information,” it said in a statement.

​Investigators are examining security protocols to determine how the weapons entered the facility while trying to identify the registered owners of the two firearms utilized in the attack.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *