Malacañang on Monday urged Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa to surface and face the International Criminal Court (ICC) arrest warrant issued against him, echoing earlier sentiments raised by fellow lawmaker Senator Robin Padilla.
Communications Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro emphasized that as a former chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP), Dela Rosa should recognize the validity of the legal process. Castro made the statement during a Palace briefing on May 18, when asked if the executive branch would formally call for the senator’s surrender.
”Mas maganda po na bilang dating PNP Chief at alam naman po niya na may valid warrant of arrest na inisyu ang ICC at katulad nung sinasabi dati ni Senator Robin Padilla kung walang kasalanan, lumabas,” Castro said.
(“It would be better that as a former PNP Chief, and he knows that there is a valid warrant of arrest issued by the ICC, and just like what Senator Robin Padilla previously said, if he has nothing to hide, he should come out.”)
The Palace official also issued a stern warning to Dela Rosa against any attempts to leave the country to evade justice, noting that law enforcement agencies will immediately apprehend him if he tries to flee.
While the executive branch is currently holding off service of the warrant out of deference to a pending judicial review, Castro clarified that the administration’s patience does not extend to allowing evasion.
”Kung ano po ang dapat na gawin – nagsalita na po ang DOJ na sa ngayon dahil mayroon po tayong hinihintay na desisyon mula sa Supreme Court at iginagalang po ng Pangulo at ang administrasyon ang nakabinbing kaso sa Supreme Court ngunit hindi kailangang tumakas palabas ng bansa si Senator Bato dela Rosa,” Castro explained.
(“Whatever needs to be done—the DOJ has already spoken that for now, because we are waiting for a decision from the Supreme Court, and the President and the administration respect the pending case in the Supreme Court, but Senator Bato dela Rosa does not need to flee the country.”)
”Kapag siya ay nagtangka, ayon na rin sa DOJ, siya ay huhulihin,” she added.
(“If he attempts to, according to the DOJ, he will be arrested.”)
Dela Rosa has been officially listed under the ICC’s wanted persons for alleged crimes against humanity linked to the bloody anti-drug campaign during the Duterte administration.
The former top cop briefly resurfaced at the Senate from May 11 to May 13 during a leadership transition, during which he was granted protective custody by the chamber following an alleged chase by National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) agents upon his arrival. The ICC warrant was never served during his brief stay, which ended shortly after a high-profile shooting incident occurred within the Senate building in an apparent attempt to “arrest somebody.”
The call from Malacañang comes closely after the Supreme Court decided on May 13 not to issue a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) to halt the implementation of the ICC’s arrest warrant against the lawmaker.
